I have had "flat breads" on my mind. This week Alex, Aidan and I decided to try a new restaurant called the the "Banana Leaf". It is a combination of Sri Lanka, Indian and food from Singapore. We love Indian food, but this combination intrigued us. It was fantastic! Can't wait to go back!
One of the things we absolutely loved was the flat bread! It was called Roti Paratha. It is very similar looking to a flour tortilla, but a little crispy on the outside with a flaky, melt in your mouth, inside. It also had a bits of toasted garlic on the surface. Oh my!! I knew I had to learn how to make this, and soon. It is on my list for tomorrow.
![]() |
| This was Aidan's meal. |
A "flat bread" is a simple bread with at least three basic ingredients: flour, salt and water. Think about how many cultures have flat bread. Here are a few you might be familiar with:
Focaccia (Italy)
Pita (Greece)
Chapati (India)
Roti (SriLanka)
Naan (India)
Arepa (Venezuelan)
Flour Tortillas (North American)
Corn Tortillas (Mexico)
These are just a few of the many flat breads that our out there, believe it or not!
A lot of the flat breads do not contain yeast, so those kind are relatively easy to make and are cooked on a flat hot surface and I think, make the ideal bread item.
I have made flour and corn tortillas, pita, naan, focaccia and a recipe that just called "flat bread". One of my goals this summer is to perfect these different kinds of flat breads and to incorporate them more into our everyday meals. So stay tuned...tried and true recipes to come!
Oh, this was my dish that I ordered, but this is an adventure for another day:
![]() |
| Roti is torn up into pieces and is the base for the Kothu. Love!! |
Lisa


No comments:
Post a Comment