Thursday, May 31, 2012

Lisa's Refried Beans


Austin made a bean and cheese burrito for himself.
It has been a long time since I have made refried beans. Refried beans usually get a bad wrap for being unhealthy, but it is really not true, especially if you make them yourself. Never buy refried beans out of a can - ick!! No taste and what is that texture?? eww! For me there are two ways:


1. dried pinto beans- this is the best way for taste and texture, believe me! It does take a some time to do, but it all hand's off time, so pretty easy really. And ask any chef, using dried beans over canned beans has better taste than that from a can and they are cheaper too!


2. canned pinto beans- like I said never buy canned refried beans, never! But buying the canned pinto beans themselves and making your own refried beans is the way to go when you are short on time. I have tons of dried beans and I have tons of canned beans, we use both- just depends on the time and recipe that I have.


Tonight I made refried beans from dried pinto beans, they are fantastic! Michael walked in from work to change for soccer and said "What smells so good?" and then later Alex walked in from work and said "Yum mom, what are you making?" Yep, this is what I like to hear!

Lisa's Refried Beans

2 - 3 cups dried pinto beans, soaked overnight*
1 smoked ham hock or shank (optional, but for me, necessary)**
1 onionchopped
2 - 3 cloves garlicchopped
1 t. salt
jalapeno or a can of chopped green chilies (optional)
cumin, cayenne (optional)
hot sauce (optional)
canola or olive oil

Rinse beans in colander. Place beans and ham hock in large pot and cover generously with water. Bring to a boil. Cover beans and reduce heat between low and medium. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender. Start checking beans after 1 ½ hours.  Beans should be tender.

In the sink place a bowl with a colander on top. Pour beans into colander catching some of the bean liquid below (1-2 cups). 

Place beans in a food processor with about 1 cup of bean liquid and puree (I also add any of the meat, not fat from the ham hock). I like my beans light and airy (not gloopy and heavy!). Add enough water until desired consistency is reached.

In a skillet saute onion and garlic (and jalapeno or green chilies if using) in oil until onions are fragrant. 

Add pureed bean mixture to hot skillet and stir.  Add salt and taste; adjust if needed. Then add 1 t. cumin if using. If you like it hot add 1/4 t. cayenne or more depending on how hot you want it. Or use favorite hot sauce to kick it up. Heat through and you are done- Perfect-O!

Later, the family went on and on about the beans, really?! who goes on normally about refried beans?? see- worth it!

Enjoy!

Lisa
*Soaking the beans overnight is key. Soaking them overnight helps reduce cooking time tremendously. Before you go to bed rinse the dried beans well and look for any particles or small rocks that should not be there. I usually never find anything, but on the rare occasion I do. Place beans in a large bowl and cover with cold water. I always make sure there is about 2-3 inches of cold water above the beans.

**smoked ham hock or ham shank- this gives the beans a richness and smokiness to them that sets them apart from any other refried beans (layering the flavor). No, you don't have to use one- but you will never go back if you do. I buy a shank or hock in the meat section and use half for the beans and freeze the other half for another meal.
Smoked Ham Shank
Half the shank placed in with the beans



No comments: