Sunday, July 8, 2012
Emeril's New Orleans Red Beans & Rice
Several years ago Michael told me that he was craving some good "Red Beans & Rice"- just like the kind he would find in New Orleans. Cool! I loved the thought of a challenge! I did some search on the internet and knew right away if anyone knew Red Beans and Rice it would be Emeril!
This recipe takes some time, but it's hand off time, but worth every minute of it! My family loves it! Nothing real fancy here, but oh so good!
This is my most requested recipe when the boys go camping with the Boy Scouts. When Austin first told me that he wanted to take this the first time, I wasn't sure if the boys would like it, I even tried to discourage him. It's mostly beans and slightly spicy and I was pretty sure the other scouts had not had this at home. However Austin said it was a great success and has been ever since! I make up a huge batch and pour into two half gallon canning jars and away they go. I will send some corn bread along and honey butter and we have some pretty happy campers!
Here are my tips:
-Soak the beans over night. I never knew really what that "over-night" meant- was I suppose to get up in make in the morning and make the recipe then? No, I learned. Just rinse the beans before you go to bed and place in a large bowl and cover with lots of water. Start the next day cooking the beans anytime after noon. The longer the soak the quicker the beans will cook.
-What is a ham hock? it's just a bone with meat on it, well really it's a pig's joint or ankle if you must know (but let's not think about too hard) and you can usually find it by other pork products in the grocery store. If you can find a ham hock that is smoked- all the better! It is a must have, not optional to make this dish standout. Trust me!
-I add about two pounds of sliced smoked sausage in with the beans- yes, two pounds!, have you seen my boys?! They require meat! You don't have to add it if you don't want to.
-When it's time to pull the ham hock out, just let it cool for a few minutes and the pull the meat off the bone and add back into the beans. Yum!
MMMmmm! Inexpensive to make, very filling and a little to taste of New Orleans! Doesn't get any better than that!
Enjoy!
-Lisa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment