Saturday, July 7, 2012

Family and... Refrigerators .



This past week my sister Cindy and her kids, Bailey and Jake came for a visit. We had a fun time! We also got to see some of our family from Georgia- Kim, Hannah and Colton AND welcome our new adorable great niece - Blakeleigh Emma Wade! It was an eventful 4th of July week!

I cooked some, we ate out some, we had some good food and then I had some flops- it does happen. My second refrigerator in the garage that happens to be 20 years old, decided that this would be the week for a slow death- grrr! On the morning of the 4th of July, I pulled out my baby back ribs, and one whiff of those ribs sent me jumping back 10 feet with my hand over my nose. Boy I was mad! Baby Back's are not cheap! Did I already say "Grr"?!

I felt like I had been at the store so many times I really didn't want to go back. I dug back through my freezer and decided that since I had rolls already from Shirley's Bakery, that I would make sliders with the 4 pounds of ground beef I had.

I then decided to make my pie crust while the meat was thawing. I have several pie crust recipes that I really love and went for my friend Brenda's No-Fail Pie Crust since I was going to make two pies. Well....for some reason it didn't come together the way it should-ugh!! I threw it in the freezer to see if that would help. Came back later and tried to roll it out and noooooo- it was falling apart and sticking- I wanted to cry! Nothing was turning out. After staring at my pie crust for 5 minutes trying not to cry, I got a grip, it's just food, "roll with it girl!" was my pep talk and I threw the crust in the trash. I tried to imagine I was a contestant on Top Chef and just worked it through.

So what did we have??

-Sliders on Shirley's Parker House Rolls
-leftover Chicken Salad from the night before
-my copycat of Gandolfo's Potato Salad
-corn on the cobb (from the oven)
-watermelon
-chips
-later frozen Nestle Ice-Cream Drumsticks

Not what I planned, but it worked!

-Lisa

No comments: