Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Easiest Hot Pepper Jelly


I am not a big "jelly" fan in general, but Hot Pepper Jelly is a staple at our house. When I first discovered hot pepper jelly I wasn't even sure I wanted to taste it..jalapenos and jelly just didn't sound like they went together - how could it be good?!  But I will try almost anything once and when I did I was hooked. I started seeking after all different kinds of  hot pepper jellies and paying a pretty hefty price for small jars to satisfy my cravings. 

I love to cook and contemplated making my own jelly, but I have not really ventured out into the canning world. I don't know, it seems like it might be fun if I had a lot if time on my hands..but right now in my life it's just not going to happen. 

One of the great cooks in my life is my friend Debbie. She and I share a great love for food and she is amazing with the recipes that she comes up with. One day I will do a whole article on Debbie and the things she has taught me in the last 17 years, but this is her recipe that she shared with me for hot pepper jelly. This recipe typifies Debbie and the way she cooks- easy and delicious! Love you Debbie!

Easiest Hot Pepper Jelly

1 (14 oz) jar of apple jelly (the cheapest jar works just fine)
2 to 3 finely chopped jalapenos (or whatever your favorite pepper is)

Spoon out apple jelly into a small saucepan. Add chopped peppers. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes to infuse flavors from the peppers into the jelly (this can be done in a microwave as well). You can also add a drop or two of food coloring if you want.. ex jalapenos- green food coloring, Serrano's- red food coloring etc..

Pour jelly mixture into sterilized jars and put the lid on. Turn upside down for 5 minutes, then  upright and it will seal itself..just wait for the pop.*

Or you can do it the lazy way like I do and pour it back into the apple jelly jar (didn't even rinse it out), put the lid on tight, turn it upside down for the 5 minutes and turn it back over and wait for the pop to show that it sealed.*

* Disclaimer: One year I did a bunch of jars with jalapenos right out of the garden, put them in the storage room and they just did fine. However, I discussed this recipe with the Family Consumer Science Agents where I work and they pretty much had a duck that I did that. According to them I need to do the whole canning thing to make sure it is safely done. So just to be on the safe side, though I did it the other ways for years, I only do one jar at a time and keep it in the frig. 

Look for upcoming recipes using jalapeno jelly...yum! Enjoy!

No comments: