Eat poor that day, eat rich the rest of the year.
Rice for riches and peas for peace.
- Southern saying on eating a dish of Hoppin' John on New Year's Day.
Rice for riches and peas for peace.
- Southern saying on eating a dish of Hoppin' John on New Year's Day.
Hoppin' John?! Mom always made us eat Hoppin' John on New Years Day. She said it was tradition and if we wanted good luck for the new year than we had to eat it. Now I have to say, for me growing up, uh..Hoppin' John was not my favorite..sorry mom.. that was before I liked peas and beans stage. Of course as an adult I have reformed my ways and love peas and bean with rice of all kinds. This is the recipe that I fix for my family and thank goodness they are not like I was...
Hoppin' John
1 T. olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 red bell pepper. chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
Tabasco sauce (optional)
Heat oil in a large saucepot over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook until translucent. Add the black-eyed peas, stirring to combine. Add 1 1/2 cups water, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Add the rice. Bring back to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand covered for additional 5 to 10 minutes. Uncover, taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Add dashes of Tabasco and crumbled bacon on top. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
1 comment:
I have to say that I made my version on this, pretty similar to yours on New Years Day. Bailey and Peter ate it without complaint, however did not ask for seconds. Jake said it was "disgusting". Oh well... It was worth a try!
Post a Comment