Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Chicken Tacos


I love any kind of Mexican food! My hubby, not so much! I love the spicy, meaty, crunchy, cheesiness of it all! I could probably eat it every day! Well, that would be nice, but it does not happen as much as I would like, but that's okay, restraint is good, right?!

This recipe for Chicken Taco's is sooo good! I made this the other night and Alex said "Mom, this is so good, and so authentic tasting!" Oh yeah!

I would love to take credit for the recipe, but it is from The Food Nanny Rescues Dinner cookbook.

However, lets talk about the taco shells for a second. You know those pre-formed taco shells that you buy in a box? Don't ever buy them- yuck! Fresh corn tortillas- that is what you want and if your lucky like me and live near a Hispanic market - go there!! I do when I can, and often find the corn tortillas still warm right after they were put in the bag!! (I have been known to open that bag immediately after purchase and eat one right away- HEAVEN!)

My favorite way to cook corn tortillas is to pull out my griddle and get it pretty hot. I thrown down my corn tortillas and give them a quick spray with vegetable spray. Then I flip them over right away and spray the other side. I cook them for about a minute, flip, and cook for another minute. I then take kitchen tongs and fold the corn tortillas in half, and then cook again for about a minute for each side. I transfer them to plate that has a clean kitchen towel on it and tuck those babies in to keep warm while I do another batch. Perfect! Ready for taco fillings!

Chicken Taco's

2 T. butter
2 T. canola oil
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tomatoes, chopped or 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp chicken taco seasoning (optional)*
salt and pepper to taste
12 corn tortillas, cooked

Add oil and butter to skillet over medium-high heat. Once sizzling add chicken and onions (and chicken taco seasoning if using). Don't stir; let it cook for minute or so to get a nice brown on the chicken. The flip over and do the same. Cook just until chicken is no longer pink inside- don't overcook.

Add garlic; cook for another minute.

Turn the heat to low and add tomatoes and cilantro. (Add chicken broth or water if the mixture seems to dry-this might happen when using fresh tomatoes). Season with salt and pepper.

Cook for another minute or two to meld the flavors and that is it!

I like to use chopped romaine lettuce and shredded Monterey Jack Cheese for the topping. The boys like to sprinkle some hot sauce on theirs. Yum! A must!

* I love Penzey spices (penzeys.com). They have a fantastic "Chicken Taco Seasoning" that I keep in my pantry at all times. I use it for chicken quesadillas, burritos etc. This is my change up on the recipe, but you can certainly leave the chicken taco seasoning out and still have some pretty good chicken tacos!! 

-adapted from "The Food Nanny Rescues Dinner" by Liz Edmunds

Enjoy!

Lisa

No comments: