Monday, June 11, 2012

Peanut Butter Cookies

This past week, as a youth church activity, Austin and his friends made some cookies for some families in our neighborhood. I was asked to oversee this and give the boys some baking tips along away. For this activity, I decided we would do my favorite Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal Raisin and Peanut Butter Cookies.


I set up three stations in my kitchen, so I divided up the boys and gave them each a recipe. I first went over some basic baking techniques. One thing that is crucial in baking, is measuring the flour the right way. Even though I have known this for years myself, I have usually taken the lazy way out and measured my flour my own way and not the correct way.

Most recipes are developed using "cup" measurements for the home cook. Professional bakers will go by "weight" than "cup". But we are home cooks, so we are fine. It is how we get that flour in the measuring cup that really makes all the difference.  In photo 1, I scooped some flour out of the container and leveled it with a knife (my lazy way). In photo 2, I spooned the flour into into the measuring and leveled it with a knife- see the difference in weight:
Photo 1- wrong way (scooped)


Photo 2- right way (spooned)
About a half of ounce difference. You may not think that is much, but it really is when you want a nice light baked good. If your cookies are "led sinkers"- this could be why. This also applies to pancakes, biscuits, muffins etc. Try spooning flour into the measuring cup next time and you will see.

This is my favorite straight up Peanut Butter Cookie recipe. It makes a ton. So I take half the cookie dough and freeze it. It's quite simple. I divide the remaining dough in two and roll each portion into a log. I then roll each log up in parchment paper and tape the ends tight. I take a marker and write what it is and what to preheat the oven to and how long to bake it. Slip the cookie dough logs into a freezer bag and voila! Done. When ready to use, I put the cookie dough in the frig and let it thaw (a couple of hours). I then cut into the log make slices 1/4" thick and lay on a cookie sheet and bake.


Find the recipe here for "The Last Peanut Butter Cookie You Will Ever Try". It really will be!

-Lisa


No comments: